33rd Croatian Division
(Tridesettreća hrvatska divizija)
Formed by order of Supreme Headquarters of NOV i POJ on 19 January 1944 in Koprivnica from 1st and 2nd Moslavina brigade, on the day of the forming it had 1,665 soldiers. Under command of division until 14 March 1944 were Bjelovar and Moslavina partisan detachments. Division was part of 10th Corps of NOVJ.
Fought in area of Croatian Zagorje, Kalnik and Moslavina, especially attacking communications, mostly railways Dugo Selo-Banova Jaruga, Dugo Selo-Krizevci and Krizevci-Bjelovar.
- 28 January captures Sv. Ivan Zabno.
- 30 January repulse Ustasha attack at Grabrovca.
- 31 January repulse Ustasha attack at Rovisca.
- 31 January and 1 February demolished railway between Zabljaka and Sv. Ivana Zabno in length of around 15 km, telegraph-telephone pools along entire rail line and three bridges.
- 6 February carries out combat around Velikih Zdenaca.
- 20 February carries out combat around Dapca.
- 25 February carries out combat around Lipovca.
- 26 February carries out ambush on German column near Srpske Kapele.
- 4 March near Rovisca destroys transport railway composition, traffic on the railway is halted for 50 hours.
- 14 March carries out ambush attack on Home Defence column between Hercegovca and Ladislava.
- 18 March carries out combat against Ustasha near Brsljanice and Rogoze.
- 22 March carries out combat against Ustasha near Ladislava.
- At the end of March 2nd Brigade is sent to area Oborovo-Preseka to take over material and armament arriving from Banija.
- 29 March near Oborovo 2nd Brigade was attacked and surrounded by strong German and Home Defence forces. After heavy fighting's and with great casualties brigades breaks out to Moslavina.
From April 1944 until middle of May while 1st Brigade carries out fighting's in Croatian Zagorje, 2nd Brigade is active in area of Moslavina and western part of Bilogora.
- 1 May unsuccessful attack on Sv. Ivan Zabno.
- 7 May unsuccessful attack on Rovisce
- 15 May unsuccessful attack on Klostar-Ivanic.
- 25 May unsuccessful attack on Narta.
- 10 June demolished railway between Ivanic-Grada and Sirineca.
- 12 June demolished railway between Vrboveca and Gradeca.
- 15 June repulse German-NDH attack near Ladislava.
- 17 June carries out fighting's against German, Ustasha and Home Defence soldiers near Veliki and Mali Pasijana, Zdencaca, Velika and Mala Mlinske.
- 21 June demolished railway between Ivanic-Grada i Sirineca.
After three day battle with parts of 1st Cossack Cavalry Division and 1st Home Defence Mountain Regiment, division on 24 June retreats in direction of Bilogora. From 27 June to 2 July together with 32nd Zagorje and 28th Assault Slavnonian Division rejects attack of Ustasha and Home Defence soldiers on Kalnik and in Podravina. During July and August 1944 division demolished railway Krizevci-Dugo Selo and Krizevci-Bjelovar.
- On the night 21/22 July carries out combat near Klostar-Ivanica.
- 10 August captures Dubrovcak and Mahovo.
- 23 August carries out combat near Ivanska.
In Popovac (near Cazma) on 25 September 1944 brigade Milos Obilic (later renamed Nikola Demonja) was formed as 3rd brigade of 33rd division.
From September until the end of December 1944 fights in Podravina and Bjelovar district.
- 5 October captures Klostar near Virovitica as part of Podravina operation.
- 7/8 November demolished railway Banova Jaruga-Dugo Selo and Sv. Ivan Zabno-Krizevci.
- 8 October repulsed attacked of Ustasha near Klostar.
- 11/12 October captures Novigrad Podravski.
- 30/31 October attacks German garrison in Sumecanima.
- 3 November smashes parts of 5th Ustasha Brigade near Borovljana and captures Hlebine.
- 6 November carries out combat near Sv. Ivana Zabno.
- 7/8 November captures Brckovljane, Bozjakovinu, Donji and Gornji Gradec.
- 13/14 November captures Sumecane.
- 16 November captures Peteranec.
- 16/17 November demolished railway Banova Jaruga-Dugo Selo and Sv. Ivan Zabno-Krizevci.
- 18/19 November demolished railway Banova Jaruga-Dugo Selo and Sv. Ivan Zabno-Krizevci.
- 20 November captures Marcu.
- 29/30 November demolished railway Banova Jaruga-Dugo Selo and Sv. Ivan Zabno-Krizevci.
- 2 December captures Donji Gudovac and Veliko Korenovo.
- 7/8 December captures Batina and Husain.
At the end of December 1944 division had 4035 soldiers armed with:
- 1693 rifles
- 247 submachine-guns
- 180 light machine-guns
- 15 mortars
- 14 Piat launchers
In January 1945 as part of defence of Virovtica bridgehead holds sector of villages Sedlarica, Brzaja, Vukosavljevica, Malog Grdjevca. In February 1945 fights around Daruvara and Garesnica.
- On 27 February captures Garesnica.
- From 8 to 17 March participates in defence against German and NDH attack on liberated territory in Moslavina and around Bjelovar.
- 18 March captures Tomas.
- 22 March rejects enemy attack near Velikog Grdjevca, Pavlovca i Velike Jasenovace.
- 28 March carries out combat against Ustasha near Palancana.
- 17 April carries out combat against Ustasha near Jaksica.
- 19/20 April carries out combat against Ustasha near Medjurica.
Participates in fighting's for final liberation of Moslavina and Bilogore.
- Rade Bulat: Deseti korpus 'zagrebački' NOV i POJ
- Vojni leksikon
This page is also available in the following languages:
• Srpskohrvatski •
Send in additions, new information's or corrections you have! If you have updates, new info, you have found factual error, error in translation, grammar error or only simple typing error. Please let us know! Fill in the form and send it back. Your help is greatly appreciated.